Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!"

Friday, October 21, 2011

I feel like I need to join AA for my tone of voice....

Today was a rough day.
Overall from the outside it was a good day,
but in my heart it was a rough day.
Why?
Because I yelled at my son after he spilled puppy formula.
I was not kind.
I was not loving.
I proceeded to tell him how expensive the puppy formula is.
How we didn't have money right now to buy milk for our own family and now the VERY EXPENSIVE puppy formula was gone for the day.
Was it true that we were out of milk? Yes. But we got paid today.
Was I being over dramatic. Absolutely.
It all sounds so vile.
So unmother-like.


Sharon Jaynes in The Power of a Woman's Words says:

People simply need someone who will believe in them and tell them so; 
someone who will fan the flame and not extinguish the fire. 


It is better to build children then to repair adults. 

Tale of Two Households

"I got two A's," the small boy said. 
His voice was filled with glee. 
His father very bluntly asked. 
"Why didn't you get three?"

"Mom, I've got the dishes done,"
The girl called from the door.
Her mother very calmly said, 
"Did you sweep the floor?"

"I mowed the grass," the tall boy said, 
"And put the mower away."
His father asked him with a shrug, 
"Did you clean off the clay?"

The children in the house next door
seemed happy and content. 
The same things happened over there, 
But this is how it went. 

"I got two A's," the small boy said. 
His voice was filled with glee. 
His father proudly said, "That's great;
I'm glad you belong to me." 

"Mom, I got the dishes done," 
The girl called from the door. 
Her mother smiled and softly said, 
"Each day I love you more." 

"I've mowed the grass," the tall boy said. 
"And put the mower away." 
His father answered with much joy. 
"You've made my happy day!"

Children deserve just simple praise
For the tasks they're asked to do.
If they're to lead a happy life, 
So much depends on you!

Author Unknown

Paul wrote, "Fathers (and mothers), do not provoke or irritate or fret your children [do not be hard on them or harass them], lest they become discouraged and sullen and morose and feel inferior and frustrated. [Do not break their spirit.] Colossians 3:21 Amplified Version

The whole scene lasted only 60 seconds.
The milk got cleaned up.
The puppy got fed.
I asked forgiveness.
He forgave me.
We went on with our day.
From the outside it was a good day.
But what did his little heart hide away?
What message did I send to him in that 60 seconds?
Oh, it makes me want to vomit.
I fail so often.
In such a quick moment I can damage my kids for what may take root and stay for a lifetime.

Lord, I need your help to control my tone of voice when my frustration rises to the surface!






2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I have been there and done the same thing. The good thing is that it lets our children see that we are not perfect and that we too have to ask for forgiveness when we mess up. It allows them a chance to show forgiveness. We will mess up but when we do, it's important to go to our children and confess our sin and ask forgiveness; then do the same with our Lord. I'm proud of you for humbling yourself and saying you're sorry.
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete