Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!"

Friday, December 9, 2011

From the blessed/annointed fingertips of Ann Voskamp at www.aholyexperience.com: 
“Like the to-do list that isn’t touched and the read alouds I don’t read with children and the memories I’m not making and the intentions I don’t follow through on. Like the decisions I can’t make– and then do make. And wonder if they were the right ones at all?”
I don’t have to look up. I know how she’s listening, how her eyes are simply waiting to hear, understand. A mother can always be pregnant – full of grace. She must feel it, me all stirring.
It’s about getting it all right?” Did she speak this softly when I wailed through the nights, when she held me and rocked?
“No…” Why do I always have soul amnesia? Why can your head figure things out so much faster than your heart? Why is it that what runs through your veins learns so slow? It’s about praise, not perfection.
The only right is found in His righteousness and grace is always the most amazing of all.

Yesterday, I decided that making memories in December is far more valueable than doing math. I've always talked about taking December off of school, but I feel so guilty....like someone will find out. :-) 
My heavenly Father already knows that December is super busy for us (as well as many others) and He's that one that I'm trying to please. 
So yesterday we did NO school. Insert gasp here....
But we did enjoy family time and learning happened along the way. I'm not an unschooler by any stretch of the imagination. However, as I journey along this homeschooling path that God has called my family to, I discover that my own expectations and requirements sometimes (often) take away the joy of learning. 
Sweet Girl showed her brother how to properly wrap a Christmas present. It was so sweet. He was struggling to get it right and she said that she used to be bad at wrapping gifts also but that last year I had sat down and showed her how to do it and now it was easy. She was then showing him. It was learning being transfered. 
We cooked. Cleaned. Played with puppies. Cooked some more. Wrapped presents. Made gifts. Talked about family members. Shared stories. Had dinner together with Daddy. Practiced piano. Had good and bad moments. Read more of the Christmas story. Stayed up too late just loving on each other. 
Yes.....that's a good trade off for Math. That'll come later. But yesterday.....I chose to LIVE IN THE MOMENT! 
Blessings to you and your family as you capture December moments together!


No comments:

Post a Comment