Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!"

Friday, December 16, 2011

My curly haired girl....

"How beautiful you are, my darling!
Oh how beautiful!" 
Song of Soloman 4:1a

This is my girl....and she has curly hair. 
For some of you looking at these pictures, thinking "that's not that curly". 
You are correct. It's not THAT curly, but it is curly enough to cause tangles galor. 
I can't even begin to imagine having to manage super tight curly hair. You can just comment when I'm done and say what a gift I have and to stop belly aching about it. :-)
What you're looking at is actually after I have stuggled, she has cried, and it is brushed out as straight as possible and put into braids. I absolutly love her naturally curly hair simple left wet and air dried. However, so do the tangle monsters. They not only love it, they adore her hair. 
Plus she's a tosser when she sleeps so that doesn't help with the inevidable tangles. 
This is a picture of her after waking up and what her braids look like which means mornings still have the rebraiding process. Which is better than the detangling process, but somehow they still creep in. She was actually putting a pin on her great-grandma in this picture. It was so precious. 

Last night was a rough brushin out night....
She cried as usual.
I got impatient as usual. 
Nobody wins in the hair brushing process at our house. 
Am I alone?

I was actually thinking about the recent Little House we had ready
where it spoke of Mother loving brushing out Laura's hair before bed
and what a bonding time that was for them. 
It made me a little sad because hair brushing time is not a great mother/daughter time for us.
Reagan is such an AMAZING little girl that hardly ever needs correcting
or discipline at all. So I always feel terrible after I've verbally told her to stop crying over
getting her hair brushed. I do believe that she has a very sensitive head. But still....

Well, I want to try very hard to set aside time (?) that we can sit down and
turn this hair brushing process around. What a wonderful thing to have it 
be a loving memory of time together instead of tears (from both of us.) Just kidding...well, most of the time. :-)

"Your beauty should not come form outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gently and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful...."
I Peter 3:3-5a

She is a beautiful little girl...inside and out. 
After our difficult hair brushing time, I laid in bed with her for a long time just cuddling and talking. 
Hopefully, those are the memories that she will take away.


No comments:

Post a Comment