Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!"

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reading the Word


I can do without anything; but I cannot do without God. 

JOY can come in the morning!

Living a FRUITFUL life is possible. 

Joshua 24:15 - There are ALL kinds of gods that people can serve (myself included), but as for me and my house - WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.

Today is a day of decision. Have I been compromising in areas? 
Yes. Then I have to decide to stop. 
God sees everything! Many are in the valley of decision....and stay there their entire life. 

Don't do it the world's way! Do it God's way!!! Wait on HIS timing. 

Sometimes we are only ONE decision away from going away from God's will. 

Look at Abraham and Sarah....SHE got an idea because God was taking too long for her. 
What is GOD saying in the situation? 
I Corinthians 2:12 - The Holy Spirit is with us every moment.
 Why do we cling to the spirit of the world?

After reading yesterday's post at www.aholyexperience.com, I was totally convicted about the amount of time that I READ the Word to my kids.
 We have read a chapter of Proverbs every day for the past 2 years (mostly).
 But I know that, by my actions, I don't focus enough on time spend in the Word. 
Today we decided to follow Ann Voskamp's suggestion of eating the "living Bread" after each meal. It's been two days and I can't believe how satisfying it is.
 I love to read the Word, but I hadn't been transferring that love to my children.
 Simply because I wasn't making it a priority. 
We have family devotions several times a week with Daddy and that's a great time. 
But I also know that as their "educator" that it's my responsibility to instill a LOVE for searching out the Word on a daily basis as part of their "normal" life and "education". 

Both kids have their own Bibles but haven't always gotten them out throughout the week in the past. We primarily have used one Bible and shared from it. After Ann's suggestion of having each one have their own Bible to look at the WORDS from the Word, I went and got 3 Bible's of the same version so they could follow along. And even though my 6 year old isn't reading at Bible level at this point, she was SO into following along.
 It was the best homeschool days that we've had in a long time. 
It took us a bit longer into the late afternoon to complete our regular schoolwork, but it wasn't even a big deal because we've had such a great time just being together.
 Reading the Word. 
What's so different?
 We're together all the time....and I have read Proverbs to them on school mornings for several years....and we still read Proverbs today....but MY priority was more focused on the Word and what it really meant to our family and the impact that it really has. 

John 3:30 - He [Jesus] must become greater and I must become less.

Lord, please help me to not get so caught up in the world's way of thinking and what I "think" the kids need to get accomplished every day and in so doing put you on the back burner!
 You are the reason we are doing this! Thank you for sending a faithful woman across the miles to remind me and thousands of other mothers this simple truth. 

Home education is a ministry of discipleship with much the same concerns as Jesus addressed. You are building your child into a disciple-you must be committed to finish what you start.You are heading into a battle that will require all your resources to fight. You must be prepares to face that battle wisely. Whether building or battling, you are taking up the cross for the sake of your children-and the cross always has a cost.
Sally Clarkson-Educating the Whole Hearted Child

1 comment:

  1. I, too, was convicted by that post. I have been struggling to get my time in each day with the Lord, but realized from that how much LESS my children were getting if I was getting so little! I am very careful to get their physical needs met during this stormy part of life, but they cannot live on bread alone.......

    ReplyDelete