Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!"

Monday, November 8, 2010

Fabulous book find!

"Sentimental Victorian pictures - such as this one entitled
The Mother's Blessing -
helped to comfort and prepare parents for the inevitable.
In the prevaccination era, it was a rare family that did not lose 
a child to sickness. 
During the mid-nineteenth century, 
the child mortality rate was 50 percent."

How terribly sad! I can't even imagine. 
The lose of a child would be the most difficult thing
I can imagine facing in life. 

The library has opened up a world 
of books that I would have never experienced
had I not had the opportunity to borrow books.

Ohhhhh, today I found a good one!
Actually, I found it a week ago while browsing online
and it just came in today. 

Mrs. Sharp's Traditions ~ 
Nostalgic Suggestions for Re-Creating
The Family Celebrations And Seasonal Pastimes
of the Victorian Home
By Sarah Ban Breathnach


Mrs. Sharp's Old-Fashioned Petticoat Philosophy of Parenting

"First of all, obligations already existing in your family life 
can become perfect opportunities for family tradition 
making and togetherness.

Secondly, special family times must be scheduled into modern lives;
they do not occur spontaneously.
Strong, emotionally healthy, and loving families spend time together ~
working, playing (and praying!). 

Third, the three P's to perfect family
 (not sure there is such thing as perfect, but perhaps perfect for your family):
setting priorities, planning, and prayer.
These three elements are essential for parental peace of mind. 

Fourth, by incorporating 
routine, rhythm, and ritual into your life
many happy moments and memories will result."

I'm so excited to dive into this great resource!
Lord, I fail so often. 
My desire is to be a great wife and mom. 
I feel as if I succeed in many areas of marriage, motherhood, and ministry;
but when I have a bad day it's hard to imagine that my kids will remember the good 
over the bad. Please help me to put into practice the many words of wisdom that 
I daily receive from Your Word, books, blogs, etc.
My desire is to be a consistent example of You to them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment